This year’s edition of the Tarraco Viva historical re-enactment festival has the great discoveries of Antiquity as its core topic.
The 24th edition of the Tarraco Viva festival in Tarragona will return to normality after the last two editions were constrained by the pandemic. The historical re-enactment event will be held from 15 to 29 May and the programme will revolve around the great finds of antiquity to reflect on the role of archaeology and history in the present.
More than 300 events will take place in about thirty venues, most of them heritage sites and UNESCO World Heritage Sites; and will include exhibitions, historical re-enactments, talks, monologues, documentaries, workshops, games, guided tours, and gastronomic proposals.
As every year, the ICAC participates in the Tarraco Viva festival with the contribution of expert knowledge and, particularly, with the coordination of the itinerancy in Tarragona of the International Festival of Archaeological Documentaries (FICAB), which will celebrate its 22nd edition in 2022, from 14 to 19 November.
As in the previous edition of the festival, all documentaries will be featured only at the ‘Antiga Audiència de Tarragona’. Tickets are free but must be booked in advance (not yet available).
A total of fourteen documentary pieces of different formats will be featured on 16, 18, 23, 25, and 27 May. Sessions will take place at 7 p.m. You will soon be able to consult the full schedule here, which is summarised below:
Monday, May 16 (19 h).
- Tutankhamun, the rediscovered treasure (2018). 90 min. VO French, subtitles in Spanish.
- Herculaneum and Pompeii. Visions of a discovery (2018). 6 min. VO Italian, subtitles in Spanish.
- Art and Empire: Assyrian Treasures from the British Museum (2007). 17 min. VO Spanish.
Wednesday, May 18 (19 h).
- Petra, capital of the desert (2014). 80 min. VO French, subtitles in Spanish.
- The big puzzle: the Epicurean Inscription of Diogenes of Enoanda (2012). 32 min. VO English, Turkish, subtitles in Spanish.
- The process of archaeological excavation (2010). 8 min. VO Spanish.
Monday, May 23 (19 h).
- Discovering the Temple of Amenophis III (2016). 55 min. VO French, subtitles in Spanish.
- Mesopotamia, a forgotten civilisation (2017). 54 min. VO French, subtitles in Spanish.
- Pompeii, the model and the city (2017). 8 min. No dialogues.
Wednesday, May 25 (19 h).
- Herculaneum, a diary of darkness and light (2008). 52 min. VO Italian, subtitles in Spanish.
- The digging (2005). 46 min. VO English, subtitles in Spanish.
- Twelve decades of discovery (2019). 13 min. VO English, subtitles in Spanish.
Friday, May 27 (19 h).
- Leptis Magna: Rome’s dream in Africa (2010). 52 min. VO German, subtitles in Spanish.
- In search of Djehuty: among mummies, tombs and hieroglyphs (2015). 55 min. VO Spanish.