Two new European Commission MSCA grants awarded to Catalan Institute of Classical Archaeology (ICAC) proposals.
Projects go with Individual Fellowship (IF) call, (Horizon 2020) which aims to boost experienced researchers career.
With these new grants two researchers will join ICAC for two-year projects. They have been selected among the 2.015 proposals from all over Europe that have applied in the 2020 call in the field of Social Sciences and Humanities.
Three succeeded calls
It is the third consecutive year that ICAC has been awarded two grants in this MSCA call. This represents an important recognition of both the capacity of the Institute as a host institution and supervisors’ value and expertise. Two GIAP members supervising these two new granted proposals: Dr Hèctor A. Orengo and Dr Alexandra Livarda. Congratulations to the whole team!
Granted projects in this 2020 call are:
Dr Charlotte Diffey, archaeobotanist, from Reading University (UK). Supervisor: Dr Alexandra Livarda. Research project “DarkSeeds. A new explanatory paradigm for the agricultural economies of the Aegean Late Bronze and Early Iron Age using Machine Learning-aided 3D morphometrics and stable isotope analyses” (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020- 101024917).
Dr Efrossyni Boutsikas, classical archaeologist, expert in Greek religion and myths, and archaeoastronomy; from Kent University (UK). Supervisor: Dr Hèctor A. Orengo. Research project “STAR-AGESS. Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Ritual and Ancient Greek Experience of Sacred Spaces” (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020- 101026674).
Ongoing MSCA projects
With these new grants, there will be 7 Marie Curie researchers in the ICAC, with joint funding of more than 1 million euros. Ongoing projects are:
- Merkourios Georgiadis (MSCA-IF): TransMed: Transported Landscapes of Greek Mediterranean Colonisation (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018 n.839650), GIAP research team. A project about GIS, Drones and Remote Sensing, and how to apply these methods to landscape settings in different parts of the Mediterranean.
- Simona Perna (MSCA-IF): TECHNET: Technological innovation and knowledge networks: a multidisciplinary approach to Greco-Roman stone vases (H2020-MSCA-IF-2019 n.895286), ArPA research team. An innovative, multidisciplinary approach to the development of technology in ancient crafts using Greco-Roman stone vases as a case study.
- Toby Wilkinson (MSCA-IF): YARNSCAPE: Ecological Economies of Ancient Textiles (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018 n.840892), GIAP research team.
- Arnau Garcia Molsosa (MSCA-COFUND Beatriu de Pinós): TrackSherd: Towards an automated archaeological surface survey: development of Machine and deep learning-based methods for automated identification and classification of potsherds in subcentimetric drone-acquired imagery (2018-BP-00208), GIAP research team. A research project aiming to the development of new instruments for the identification, quantification and interpretation of archaeological items found in the surface.
- Cemre Ustunkaya (MSCA-IF): iShape3DSeed (H2020-MSCA-IF-2019- 892502), GIAP research team.